Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Configure java-11 for Ltex in VScode Ubuntu 16.04

As a scientist or researcher or a lecturer, writing paper in Latex is a must. To make it easy writing in Latex, I used VScode with Latex Workshop extension. For non native English speaker, there is another extension called ltex (based on "language tool") to check spelling and grammar. This is a perfect combination for writing paper in Latex: VScode+Latex Workshop+Ltex.

However, since I used Ubuntu 16.04 as my OS, there is a difficulty on installing the latest Ltex version (v9.0.0) in Ubuntu 16.04, which required java-11. Here, I documented my steps to tackle the problem.
  1. Download openjdk from this link: https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk11-binaries/releases/download/jdk-11.0.10%2B9/OpenJDK11U-jdk_x64_linux_hotspot_11.0.10_9.tar.gz
  2. Extract the downloaded file.
  3. Copy extracted file to /usr/local:  sudo cp -r jdk-11.0.10+9/ /usr/local
  4. Set ltex java path to: /usr/local/jdk-11.0.10+9
  5. Finish
The last step, step 4 (before finish), can be shown below.

Now Ltex is ready, as shown below. It checks your spelling and grammar errors aumatically, for free.


Another trick
I used another PC with also 16.04 version, but I don't need to follow these tricky steps with leaving "Ltex Java path" blank.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...